Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Rocket Summer with Sumerlin

Location: Soapbox Laundro Lounge, Wilmington, NC
Date: April 10, 2012

This was an interesting show for a few reasons.

1. There were maybe 100 people attending this show. (Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing, I love an intimate show like that.. but it did not work for this show in particular.)

2. The music overpowered the singer.

3. I couldn't hear out of my left ear after the openers second song.


But, despite these few facts that I wasn't too fond of, the music wasn't that bad. I actually preferred the opener more than the "headliner".

I'll start with Sumerlin, since they opened the show. Sumerlin is a relevantly new, local band. I actually knew of these guys a couple years ago because my friend was the bassist. (He's actually now playing in the band I reviewed in my last blog called The Capital.) Anyways:
  1. They played a five song set.
  2. They have great energy and demand attention of the crowd.
  3. The guys have this adorable synchronized head banging.
  4. The lead singer's voice was exceptional
  5. From what I could understand, the lyrics were pretty good (because the music was so loud) and I would definitely buy their EP.
Next, is The Rocket Summer.
  1. They played for a long time.
  2. The lead singer is talented with instruments; but his voice is a bit too nasally for me.
  3. Great sound; music was definitely way too loud
I really can't think of anything positive to say about The Rocket Summer. I knew two of their songs, they were good. Maybe I was overtired? Maybe the music was so loud that it made me so uninterested in this show that I shut down the minute they took the stage.

Definitely would not recommend The Rocket Summer to anyone, but I would definitely recommend Sumerlin.

The next show will definitely be better.

Next Show:
Tyler Hilton
Soapbox Laundro Lounge, Wilmington, NC
April 16, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment